Chub Rub Product Review
OVERALL: Best application product was MegaBabe Thigh Rescue, but I’ll still break out the Spanx for form fitting dresses.
SUMMER IS COMING… which means flip-flops, poolside fun, cool summer nights, and CHUB RUB. If you aren’t familiar with Chub Rub, consider yourself blessed and feel free to find another review here that is pertinent to your life. It is another way of saying ‘chafing’ and effects women of most shapes and sizes including those with particularly muscular legs (and I can only assume [but don’t want to imagine] it also effects men in kilts]), as well as male athletes. When it’s officially dress season, it’s officially the war on chafe.
I have loosely heard one or two women mention wearing “skimmies” under their dresses a few years ago and tried them and didn’t love them. I was having to regularly adjust them. There is, of course, always Spanx, but I was curious if there are any easy products that prevented Chub Rub for days that are particularly hot and humid when I don’t want to add another layer of clothing.
After a search online and poll of the ladies online, I road tested the 5 most recommended products:
1. WINNER: Mega Babe Thigh Rescue Anti Chafe stick ($14): VERY EFFECTIVE, MOISTURIZING, AND PLAYFUL PACKAGING. Ok ladies, this one is a must try! Full disclosure here: I thought it was Mega Lame and didn’t recommend, but I did notice it has 5 stars on Target.com. The woman behind Mega Babe wrote me on Insta and asked more about my experience. She explained that she had only ever heard of one other person not liking it, but I didn’t feel like she was confrontational or trying to change my review. I had purchased the last/only stick at Ulta and thought maybe (because it was kind-of dry) I had gotten an older/dried out stick. I had returned the original one to Ulta and after she wrote me I ordered another one from MegaBabe.com. Let me tell you, night and day difference! The one from Mega Babe came with a plastic cover and was very fresh, went on smooth, and I can DEFINITELY recommend it. PROS: I love the name. I also like the ingredients they use, but most importantly: it works the best. I wore it to a wedding when it was 95 degrees out and had no issues whatsoever with chub rub. CONS: It still feels like product on, but is not slimey like BodyGlide and it does feel like it is moisturizing (and I’d much prefer a moisturizing feeling than rubbing!). Also, a con is that it’s $10 more to purchase on Amazon and you do have to spend $30 for free shipping from Megababe.com. I bought the travel size as well and paid for shipping.
2. BodyGlide for Her ($7.99): VERY EFFECTIVE, BUT VERY SLIMY FEELING. The deodorant-like application stick is super easy to use. PROS: It was extremely effective! I used it for a wedding and I danced, sweat, and sat for hours with my skin looking perfect after! I don’t think I ever re-applied. CONS: The only thing I didn’t like about it is that it feels a slimy so you mentally work to get over that. VERDICT: The slimy feeling was too much for me, but it’s a pretty intense product and could be helpful for chafe while working out.
(THEY ALSO MAKE THIS IN BLUE… more approachable for men but is a larger size……).
3. Bandlettes ($20 shipped per pair): high maintenance and you feel neked. These are basically garters that are extra wide. You measure the circumference of your thigh where you would like to wear them and then purchase the letter that corresponds. PROS: I liked that it was a garment, but not shorts and thus they are extra cool feeling. You don’t feel sticky/no product to apply or reapply. CONS: In the same vein, it feels a little bit like you’re neked (even more so than just undies for some reason). I had to adjust several times throughout the day. VERDICT: If you are going somewhere SO hot and want a mechanical barrier, this may be a good option but prepare to readjust and feel a little nek.
4. Lush’s Silky Underwear: KIND OF MESSY, I RETURNED. PROS: It is smooth. It has really great reviews online! As one user put it: “Soft! Silky! Sensuous! Sublime!” Some people think it smells nice. CONS: I did not think it smelled particularly nice and was pretty loco to apply- you have to powder up your whole hand, then slap on… the powder got over my skirt and then you have a white powdery hand after application. VERDICT: Not my cup of tea, mostly because of the mess. However, it may be useful if you need something for under your bra (I do not so I can’t really comment on that). I returned for one of my favorite Lush Bath Bombs.
5. Monistat Chafing Relief Powder Gel: ($5.98): MEH, 6.5/10. Attention: as the box will tell you, do NOT try to put this in your vagina!!;) This is a silicone gel (it has nothing to do with powder, not sure why that is in the name). Also, just the name and brand of this makes me feel like I’m buying hemorrhoid cream. Come on, Proctor and Gamble! Jazz it up! PROS: If you can’t handle the slimy feeling from BodyGlide, then this is for you, as it is silicone based. CONS: It’s like a vaseline nozzle, so you have to put product on your hand and then rub on/in, not as convenient as BodyGlide and doesn’t work as well. VERDICT: It feels smooth and not slimy or sticky, but doesn’t work as well as Body Glide.
Overall, Mega Babe Thigh Rescue is the best application product and great for hot days! Very effective, moisturizing, and I like the travel size for my purse.
I have also heard of women using deodorant (that worked about as well as the Monistat for me). If you are wearing a dress that shows off a bit much, I am still a fan of Spanx. They smooth everything out and really hold everything in and protect all thigh skin. I decided to splurge (as the last pair of compression undergarment I bought was for my wedding 7 years ago). Spanx On-Core High Waisted mid-thigh short. I highly recommend taking advantage of their Live Chat on the site to find exactly what you’re looking for. Have a tape measure handy so you can find your right size, and don’t be afraid to return (satisfaction guaranteed within 30 days!).
You can’t beat Spanx for sucking it all in and preventing chub rub: no need to reapply (only minimal repositioning if you find the right size) and one pair is equivalent to two days a week at the gym;)
I am hesitant to share this because I won’t ever share anything to get a kickback, however, I haven’t been able to find a better coupon anywhere and this link will give you 15% off. CLICK FOR 15% OFF OF SPANX PURCHASES. Please let me know if you find a better discount somewhere else!!